I have found out that it is really rewarding helping others. To put others before yourself is something that I always had a hard time doing, but tried my hardest to do. When you do volunteer work or sponsor a Child from World Vision, there is just this feeling inside of you that gets all warm and fuzzy and it just makes you feel like you can actually make a difference in this world of ours. With all the bad things going on, why not try to make a few good memories by helping others. I am on this team at my church called Catalyst. We want to do for others, not have them do for us. Like next weekend we are having a "Generations" Lunch. It is for the Adult 4 and 5 classes in our church. The senior citizens basically. When we just mentioned the thought of it, they just got so excited that the younger people wanted to do something for them. And on the invitations, we said that we wanted to HONOR them. That it would be our HONOR. How neat is that? To honor them for what they have done and been thru. I can't wait to talk to these adults next saturday and find out more about their lives. We also did an Interview video with them and asked them questions like "how did you meet your husband/wife" or "where was your first kiss or date." Basically we are just trying to bring back that sense of being young and love in their lives. It's exciting seeing them get excited.
Just try it for a weekend or for a day even, try to put everyone else before yourself. Try to help someone across the street or help someone put groceries in their car before you put yours up. Let someone get in front of you if you have a ton of things in your buggy and they only have a few. It's hard to do and a lot of times it doesn't even cross our mind, and I think that is how sad it is. That we have come to that. We don't even think about it anymore. Good deeds used to be a way of showing respect, or kindness, now the words good and deeds aren't even in our vocabulary! Just try it with me, ok?
That's all for now,
Mrs. Solomon
Thursday, January 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree. Sometimes in our own selfishness and when we get caught up doing something or we're in a hurry we overlook the people that are in genuine need of help. I do agree the senior citizens do deserve more respect, and it is nice and interesting to ask about their past. About first dates, marriages, first kisses, etc. It shows that they do understand more than we think they do. And when they reflect on those young and happy times it just lights them up, and makes them happy. And then the stories come and if you take time to listen to them they are very interesting and you can learn lots from them. Besides they have been through a lot of what we have and then some. We come from them, so it's only right after all they've been through for us we respect them.
I think it's great what your church is doing, and what all you are doing.
P.S. I posted a comment in reply to yours on my webpage about the book The Da Vinci Code By: Dan Brown
I remember talking to Jack, I told you about Jack right, My neighbor that was my "father figure" that died and devastated me, and still does, anyways, I can remember him telling his stories over and over again. Stories of how he was the big man on campus at school, he ran track, and everything. Hearing him talk about the ladies, I didn't know it at the time, but those stories would stick with me forever. And that's all I wanted after he died, was just to hear those stories again, hear him laugh and remember the good ole days and us sitting there eating a snickers bar. I miss him so much. But I made a connection. like a few weeks before he died he told me that he thinks that he's changed. He had read the Prayer of Jabez, very good book by the way, short but very very good. He said he couldn't put it down, and it changed something in him. He felt better, he wanted to read it again and he wanted to change. He didn't want to cuss anymore and he wanted to be a better man. Not that he was a bad man, because he was one of the best men I have ever known. Very kind and loving, and just he was my dad. I miss him girl.
Post a Comment